The aftermath

Two days later, on the Friday morning, I had to return for another blood test. This was to check my platelet levels for the weekend and I might need another transfusion. 

I was a bit apprehensive, after my last experience! This time the same phlebotomist asked if a 4th year medical student could take my blood. I agreed, as I always think they need to get as much practice as they can, but I said there was no way the blood was coming out of my wrist! 

I explained to the student, in front of the phlebotomist, the reason why and said the pain was worse than childbirth! I was trying to make light of it and she said I'd never let her forget it! We do have a good relationship, but I must admit that I have lost confidence in her. 

Anyway, she instructed the student how to use the equipment and then how to draw the blood out of my arm. He was brilliant and I had no problem with how he did it and I told him so. He was really pleased at his success. I felt it was important to tell him it was a good experience because he had been a little nervous of doing it with different equipment. 

I went home, expecting a phone call to return in the afternoon. There wasn't one, so I phoned them. I spoke to the phlebotomist who told me that my platelets had shot up to 80! 

I was going away with my nurse friend on the Sunday, just for a shopping trip and a night away, so I was really pleased. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The transfusion

More bites!

After effects